Bismillah alhamdulillah: very nice interview with the olympic level athlete and cardiologist Dr Paul Thompson on what exercise to recommend to patients. Some take home points:
- 30 minutes walking per day
- Recommend every day to get 5/6 days
- Jogging 15 minutes/day
- Walking outside = walking on a treadmill with a 1-2% incline because of air resistance!
- Cycling on a stationary bike is pretty poor.
- Don’t forget to keep strengthening your muscles as many people are outliving their muscle strength.
- Lovely last thought from the interviewer who remembered her mentor’s thought: ‘I wish our lives were like batteries, they run on full power right to the end and then give up very quickly’
Have a listen and keep moving!
Walking the Path to Health
Medscape Family Medicine Podcast
Published: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:35:28 EDT
Dr Henry Black speaks with cardiologist Paul Thompson on how the best exercise practices are often the simplest