Just finished a presentation of MERS for the public. Interesting information that I came across regarding camels and their role in the disease. Some highlights were:
- Camel’s have had antibodies against the corona virus since at least 1992.
- The camel virus genome sequences vary by less than 1% compared to the human MERC Coronavirus
- The prevalence of corona virus in camel’s by PCR is highest prior to the age of 2.
- Seropositivity in camels was quite variable ranging from 5->90%.
- Taif was mentioned as having a high seropositive rate amongst its camels.
- for more see the short power point: